View previous topic :: View next topic  
Khon - Webmaster
Officer

re: Improve Your Latency...Profit!

I found this on my old guild's forums. It's a registry fix that increases the rate that you send and receive packets. I suggest EVERYONE use it to improve overall performance in game (especially arenas). After using it, I went from a constant 280ms to 150-160 during prime time. For those that don't care how it works:

1) Determine your IP (ipconfig or similar)
2) Run Regedit
3) Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces
4) Determine which interface is for your IP. The correct interface will have a DhcpIPAddress set to your current IP.
5) Right-click on the interface and select New->DWORD
6) Set the name to TcpAckFrequency (case sensitive)
7) Set to a decimal value of "1"
8) Save
9) Restart your computer

If you're tech-savvy and want to know exactly what it's doing...

It increases the throughput on your Flux Capacitor.

In reality:

The TcpAckFrequency value determines how often TCP/IP sends an acknowledgment message.

* If the value is 2, TCP/IP will send an acknowledgment after 2 segments have been received or when 1 segment has been received but no other segment has been received for 200 milliseconds.
* If the value is 3, TCP/IP will send an acknowledgment after 3 segments have been received or when 1 or 2 segments have been received but no other segment has been received for 200 milliseconds.
* And so on.

*Important Bit*

If you need to improve response time by removing the TCP/IP acknowledgment delays, set this value to 1. In this case, TCP/IP will immediately send an acknowledgment to every segment. If your connections are used primarily to move large amounts of data and the 200 millisecond delay is insignificant, you may want to increase this value to reduce the overhead of acknowledgments.

So in other words, if your running a Server of some kind, this is a good thing to help reduce loads. On a personal PC however, particularly when it comes to latency response times in online games, this can introduce 30 to 60 percent more latency.

This might not have any effect in Vista, 32 or 64 bit. Every bit of documentation I could find on this only refers to Windows Server 2003 and XP. Honestly, just see if the registry key path exists. If it does, create a backup of your registry and try adding the DWORD. If it adversely affects your system, just restore the backup and kick yourself in the ass for using Vista Wink

By default, Windows uses a value of 2 (acknowledges every other segement). The valid range for this value is 0 to 255 where 0 indicates that the default value (2) should be used.
Lexa
Officer

this lowered my latency from 170-180 to 50-60

also lowered besom's latency by 100 some
Lexa
Officer

Apparently there's another registry fix that is suppose to help out as well:

Type "regedit" in windows "run.." dialog to bring up registry menu

Then find:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSMQ\Parameters

Right-click in the right hand pane and add a new DWORD value, name it TCPNoDelay, then right click the entry and click Modify and assign a value of 1.

Click Ok and close the registry editor, then reboot your PC.
Icecream
Raider

i saw something similar on mmo champion, and it said blizz is gonna put that in along with 2.3.2 to improve your latency automatically

are they the same thing?
Makai
Raider

Blizzard is always late!
Theuglystick
Raider

Hmm the closest catagory I found had a dchpipadresss set to a similar ip but it was 1 digit off... =x I hope it works.

fixed with 2.32, no longer does anything. In fact it gave me lag spikes now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Supremacy Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Who's Online
None